Friday, September 19, 2008

India First Impressions

Hi Everybody,

I am alive and doing well in India. While trying to write this blog, I realized I have no idea what i'm suppose to write about. I could go on forever about what's going on here and what obstacles we have encountered. However, i'll just post pictures at different stages of my travels. If you would like to know more, feel free to ask (it'd help maintain my sanity).

Day 1 (Delhi)

We arrived in Delhi after a long grueling trip from Vancouver to meet with our India Coordinating office (The Shatri Indo-Canadian Institute in New Delhi). This was my first encounter with Indian cuisine, in the fast food format.

The India Coordinating office treated us to a vegetarian lunch. It came in a little package with numerous little dishes. This is a Northern India cuisine (as i have been told).

The came with 8 items. The top left square was i believe lentil curry, below that is something that tasted like a spicy tomato sauce and below that veggies (onions etc). The top middle was rice and beneath it was some sort of nacho chip (??), tasted like a salty nacho chip, which was quite good. My motto when it comes to food when traveling is when in doubt, bread, pastries and chip products are usually a safe bet. The top right hand corner, tasted something like a potato curry something or other, below that was a yogurt/dairy sort of dish, followed by a dessert (which had the consistency and taste of a soggy timbit. i only at the chips and the spicy tomato past and a little of the potato curry. I was very cautious of what i was eating, still am. easing my way into indian cuisine.


Posing with my fast food and throwing up random gang signs. When you have no idea what to do with your hands in a picture, throw up the peace sign or V sign. Looks cool.

After this lunch at the India coordinating office, we went straight back to the airport to catch our 2 and half hour flight to Chennai.

Here are some random snaps of Southern New Delhi, which surprisingly has a reasonable traffic and a lot of green space.

Apartments lining the highway.

Government offices.

India Gate. We didn't get a chance to go out and take pictures near it; the weather was not cooperating and started to rain cats and dogs.

Traffic in South Delhi. Surprising little traffic for such a big city. They say it gets really busy in some parts (haven't experienced that yet - not to the levels i have seen in China).

Day 2 (Chennai and the Indian Institute of Technology Madras)

I arrived at the IIT Madras around midnight (After over 35 some odd hours of traveling). walking into my dorm, which pretty much has 4 walls a metal cot and a desk in ther corner, and layers and layers of dust. This place seems to have been inhabited for a while or people just don't clean.


My sleeping set up. So glad i brought the sleeping bag! Smells like body wash after a bottle exploded in my luggage (that was a pain in the ass).

Outside my door. I still don't know what that dirt pit is for. It's just there?

The only source of cooling in dorms - a fan on max speed. Doesn't do much in 35+ weather, however it doubles as a mosquito deterrent - too windy for mozzies to fly around in. I still have to set up my mosquito net.

Desk in corner, covered with all my crap. No chair included - i still have to go buy one.

Day 3 (Exploring IIT Madras)
That night i couldn't sleep, way too hot and thirsty and wasn't comfortable in my new surroundings. Got only 2 hours of sleep and then i decided to go walk around the campus around 6am, which i have been told is 650 hectares.

The dorms complex i'm staying at. Staying at the one on the right of the picture.

Outside my dorm.

Around the corner from my dorm. Deer everywhere!!

Monkeys are quite numerous on campus. Honestly the creep me out. I'm scared they're going to chase me down and attack me - just for the hell of it.


One of the many walkways at the IIT Madras.

That is all for now.

Thanks for reading.

Miss you guys.

Peace

R

5 comments:

Marc said...

The dirt pit is for you to raise deer in for sustenanace ..... or perhaps to begin growing something Chinese like bok choy or Communism. Way to throw up peace signs like Richard Nixon maybe soon you will develop his trademark jowls. So far, so good though. We miss you too.

~Jill said...

Metal cot? No wonder you couldn't sleep. Oh, and I love that you said "mozzies"!

Ange said...

Hey Robin, Ange here (ex-Bio Engineering student). Really cool that you're in India, hope you have tons of fun!

PS. the dirt pit is to grow bananas to throw at the monkeys so you can run away...

Steph said...

Robin!! Really enjoying the pics and commentaries!! Hope India is continuing to treat you well... seriously, your fast food Indian cuisine looks exactly like what you would get here in an Indian buffet. Yummy!! At least we know you're well fed :) Cheers!

Robin said...

haha raise deer! I wouldn't be surprised if it was for that purpose! but the question that boggles my mind is... where are the predators that eat the deer... do i really want to know?