Friday, November 14, 2008

Irony

Hi Everybody,

One of my favorite movies is "Stranger Than Fiction", and there are times where i wonder what type of story my life is - comedy/tragedy/drama etc. I still haven't figured it out yet... i hope it's a good story with a happy ending. My favorite part of the movie...

"As Harold took a bite of Bavarian sugar cookie, he finally felt as if everything was going to be ok. Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies, we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, soft-spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true."

Anyhoo, back to the point of this post. Before i came to India, i asked myself "what would i do in India, that i can't do back in Edmonton/Canada?" The first answer to that question was Yoga! I'm going to go to India and learn some Yoga. I mean 4 months of yoga, would almost make me half decent. The Yoga Center that has been recommended for international students is the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres , which is about a 10-15 minute bike ride off campus to the beach in Chennai, which ironically is based out of..........Montreal, Quebec, Canada, established in 1959 (they have centres all over the world - North America, Europe, Middle East, India, and South America. Then I realized, what i already knew before that, CANADA KICKS SOME SERIOUS ASS; that we are an INSANELY multicultural country and that i would come home to the "Cultural Mosaic" that is Canada and learn some Yoga.

Well... that being one reason, it's also due to my laziness and fear of dealing with Indian traffic especially during rush hour and most importantly, my lack of a bicycle (8+ weeks and counting!!). They drive like they're walking through a crowd... a good accelerator and a working horn are essential. You're right...a horn and fuse business in India/China would make a FORTUNE!

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
~Ashleigh Brilliant~

Well said Ms. Brilliant... well said.

Cheers

Robin

PS. What does this post have to do with "Stranger than Fiction"? Good question.

2 comments:

tim said...

I also can not really find the relation to stranger than fiction. But very interesting fact. Director Marc Foster who did "Stranger than fiction" also did the new Bond. So keep thinking if you life may fit into Bonds life :-).
Robin get your f***in bike.

Ronja Krebs said...

I just keep on wondering if you really know that part of "stranger than fiction" by heart, or who else wrote it down on the internet for you to find...
Never mind, act in your own play... and I keep on saying chocolate croissants are nearly as good as "Bavarian sugar cookies" which are definately not from Bavaria.... maybe they are Canadian too???